Photo credit: www.rtlibrary.org/earthday.html
Today marks the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day. It began in 1970 and was founded by U.S. Senator, Gaylord Nelson. In Earth Day ceremonies at the University of Wisconsin, Senator Nelson declared:
"Our goal is an environment of decency, quality, and mutual respect for all other human creatures and for all living creatures. . .The battle to restore a proper relationship between man and his environment, between man and other living creatures will require a long, sustained, political, moral, ethical, and financial commitment- -far beyond any effort made before."
If anything, since 1970, people seem to be even more environmentally aware. More people subscribe to the practice of recycling at home and they are more conscious about the products they purchase. As a result, we have seen a small shift from manufacturers touting things such as packaging made from post consumer materials. I think the main thing to take away from that is that consumers control it all! We have a say, and we make those choices every time we make a purchase.
In honor of Earth Day, our associates were asked to share their Green Tips with the rest of the hotel. We hope to educate our staff on all the options they have in helping to sustain the earth and its resources. As a hotel, we also try to make a difference by making small changes that add up to a big impact.
- Low Flow Showerheads - Our showerheads use 2.8 gallons per minute and slash bathing water consumption by 50-70% over regular showerheads.
- Energy Management System (EMS) - Our AC automatically shuts off when the guestroom in not checked in. It is triggered by motion in the room.
- Replace Toilet Flapper Annually - Flappers can disintegrate over time, and that causes the toilet to run and use excess water. We replace flappers every year to help conserve water.
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs - Compact fluorescent light bulbs are used throughout the hotel. These bulbs use less energy and have a longer life.
- Curtains - It is the housekeeping standard to maintain curtains 95% closed in vacant rooms to prevent sunlight from coming in and warming up the room.
- Natura Water Filtration System - Engineered in America, Natura's patented three-step purification system is set up in our restaurant, Grand Met. We also utilize this system in our employee cafeteria where we encourage employees to skip the water bottles, and bring refillable water bottles.
- Recycling - Recycling bins for paper, plastic and cardboard can be found throughout the Grand Hyatt DFW, including meeting rooms, back of the house spaces, offices and the employee cafeteria.
- Vendors - We strive to do business with other companies that maintain the highest standards in green initiatives.
Other useful web sites:
Remember - Everyday is Earth Day!